Positional sensing testing

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Positional sensing testing

Postby ignotus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:48 pm

I should have looked at the raw midi output before reporting. Turns out the module is actually sending the right cc messages... the culprit is AD.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby ignotus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:11 pm

I thought I'd share this:

https://youtu.be/rB1VslJnXjE

I was trying out a side-mounted trigger in the snare and it turns out PS actually works with it. The foam ball in the centre might have something to do with it (it dampens the head vibrations causing double triggers), but I now have the best of two worlds: no hotspot in the centre and PS to boot!
ignotus

Postby airflamesred » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Wouldn't it be good if we could put on some xray type glasses and be able to see the vibrations!

Fine work again Sir, was this an accidental discovery?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby ignotus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Yep, entirely accidental. I'd left the configuration with PS on after changing the trigger location and whilst playing realised it was working :shock: There's a small area near the trigger where it plays a centre sound but it doesn't bother me because I don't play there anyway - I put the trigger where I'm least likely to hit it to avoid the hotspot.
ignotus

Postby Chrescht » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Ignotus,
Shure that PS "kind of" works with a side mounted Piezo but you will for shure not have the same results with centrally mounted Piezo.
The same Sound at a certain distance from center and this 360 degrees round.
But if you are fine with the Sound variation that you receive, why not! :-)
Have Fun

Greetings

Christian
Chrescht

Postby ignotus » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:55 am

As I use a 10" snare, PS "kind of" works even with a central piezo - I don't get a smooth, gradual transition from edge to centre sounds because I guess the pad is too small to achieve that. That said, I got PS to work just as well with the side-mounted assembly. The only area where it doesn't work is in the vicinity of the side trigger -for obvious reasons- but that's not a problem because I avoid that area anyway. If I was able to get identical performance using triggers in the centre and at the side, I was just curious as to whether that would also be possible with larger pads. In fact, I'm not using PS now because I can't really get it to work smoothly, regardless of where the trigger is. I might one day make some larger pads and give it another try, but in any case the above video was just a "proof of concept".
ignotus

Postby tddrummer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:05 am

Dmitri,
I was wondering about the buffering of the Hihat. Are you using a inverting or non-inverting configuration. Also is the buffer adding any gain or is it a unity gain setup.
BTW, as I was reading through the posts, has anyone actually tried PS on cymbals, if so how well did it work.
Thanks
tddrummer

Postby dmitri » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:19 pm

tddrummer wrote:Dmitri,
I was wondering about the buffering of the Hihat. Are you using a inverting or non-inverting configuration

It's non-inverting.

. Also is the buffer adding any gain or is it a unity gain setup.

It is a unity gain buffer.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:01 pm

About the hihat buffering, does it mean that the hihat input should be run through the precision rectifier circuit? That will disable the need for choosing high or low impedance?

I might have found a cheaper alternative to LM6136 which is the MCP6024. Would the MCP6024 work and without the 2 capacitors?

edit: well I figured it out from wikipedia. sorry, I type faster than I research :D
estregan

Postby dmitri » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:59 am

estregan wrote:About the hihat buffering, does it mean that the hihat input should be run through the precision rectifier circuit? That will disable the need for choosing high or low impedance?

Yes.
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware