Positional sensing testing

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Positional sensing testing

Postby Poldi-1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 pm

I have tried my best to make a precision rectifier on my own, although it's like 15-20 years ago I last used my soldering iron :) (bought the module ready-assembled from dmitri...)
Sadly I have a constant high input on the SnareH, so something went wrong - but what? I know the soldering points don't look really good (cuz of my okd iron I guess) but I tried my best and believe I understood the schematiccs and followed them, and as far as I measured it there are no shorts.
I attached some pictures of my board and hope it helps... I mirrored the image of the bottom so you can easily compare to the upper side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Poldi-1

Postby Poldi-1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:33 am

Hm since I couldn't get much help here I just gave it another try. Lucky me I bought all parts twice :)
The biggest problem was the old worn-out tip of my soldering iron - had to apply heat too long. With a new tip and proper soldering tin it all looked better and finally worked. I will test on my first try to get it working as well, so I might have precision rectifier to give away soon :)
Before I started trying on the Positional Sensing settings I noticed that the HighLevel on SnareH has raised a lot with the precision rectifier built in: where I had a HighLevel of 240 before I know have 920 - what to do now?
Poldi-1

Postby dmitri » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Poldi-1 wrote:Before I started trying on the Positional Sensing settings I noticed that the HighLevel on SnareH has raised a lot with the precision rectifier built in: where I had a HighLevel of 240 before I know have 920 - what to do now?

If all parts nominals are correct than it should not have happened. You can try to increase R6 value.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jman 31 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Poldi-1 wrote:Hm since I couldn't get much help here I just gave it another try. Lucky me I bought all parts twice :)
The biggest problem was the old worn-out tip of my soldering iron - had to apply heat too long. With a new tip and proper soldering tin it all looked better and finally worked. I will test on my first try to get it working as well, so I might have precision rectifier to give away soon :)
Before I started trying on the Positional Sensing settings I noticed that the HighLevel on SnareH has raised a lot with the precision rectifier built in: where I had a HighLevel of 240 before I know have 920 - what to do now?

Sorry man, never messed with this or I would have tried to help. If you plan to get the old one working, get a good tip and apply a little more "rosin core" solder to clean up these joints. Or you can just apply some rosin and heat the joints back up. Also make sure there is no solder shorts and clean the board good with either isopropyl alcohol or soap and water. Looks like you need to practice, practice, practice! :D
jman 31

Postby Poldi-1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm

@dmitri All parts are the same as in your schematics for sure. What steps/values would you recommend for raising R6?

@jman I'd say the first board was my practice. I can take pictures of the 2nd (working one) to show how my soldering skills came back (thanks to proper tools as well) :) Also if anyone wants a picture of a proven working board as a guide to make one himself I can try to make some real good close ups.
Poldi-1

Postby dmitri » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Poldi-1 wrote:@dmitri All parts are the same as in your schematics for sure. What steps/values would you recommend for raising R6?

Different values up to around 4k7.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby rockdude » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Poldi-1 wrote:if anyone wants a picture of a proven working board as a guide to make one himself I can try to make some real good close ups.

A thorough tutorial with good closeups are always a good thing. Do it! 8-)
...and please let us know how the positional sensing works for you.
rockdude

Postby Poldi-1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

dmitri wrote:Different values up to around 4k7.

I guess u mean up to 4k and the "7" afterwards is a typo? Or is that some kind of notation I don't jknow of yet?
In what steps would you go up to 4k? I would try to put in another 330 resistor I have here so I end up with 660, or is that too few? Or is it trial and error anyways? Should I maybe use a potentiometer?

Will take nice pictures when I put in another resistor :)
Poldi-1

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 am

4k7 means "four-point-seven k"
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby Poldi-1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 am

learn something new every day :) Thanks :)
Poldi-1

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware