Positional sensing testing

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Positional sensing testing

Postby dmitri » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:36 am

Ken Forgettable wrote:
dmitri wrote:
Ken Forgettable wrote:Does the latest firmware allow for positional sensing on the cymbals too?!

Of course ... if it produces the same type positional signal as a mesh head pad with a centrally placed piezo.

And this uses the same code as for the drum head?

Of course, I don't have a Roland cymbal to develop different code with.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm

dmitri wrote:Of course ...

In other words - megadrum can determine between a hit to the bell or the edge using a single PZT afixed to the under size of the bow?
Ken Forgettable

Postby dmitri » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Ken Forgettable wrote:
dmitri wrote:Of course ...

In other words - megadrum can determine between a hit to the bell or the edge using a single PZT afixed to the under size of the bow?

Of course ... if it produces the same type positional signal as a mesh head pad with a centrally placed piezo.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:07 am

dmitri wrote:... if it produces the same type positional signal as a mesh head pad with a centrally placed piezo.
Hi, so;
+ Does detection efficiency reduce for a larger (say 24") cymbal?

+ Will the common practice of gluing a PZT to the underside of a real cymbal achieve this 'same type positional signal' as my cone head? :shock:
Ken Forgettable

Postby dmitri » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 am

dmitri wrote:Of course, I don't have a Roland cymbal to develop different code with.

As far as I know positional sensing for cymbals only works with Roland cymbals. What signal they produce and how good it works with Roland modules I have no idea. If they produce the same type positional signals as mesh head pads with a centrally placed piezo then then positional sensing will work for them as well on MegaDrum.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby CyberFly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

dmitri wrote:As far as I know positional sensing for cymbals only works with Roland cymbals. What signal they produce and how good it works with Roland modules I have no idea. If they produce the same type positional signals as mesh head pads with a centrally placed piezo then then positional sensing will work for them as well on MegaDrum.

After reading this thread I still wonder how Positional Sensing works.
Does the piezo ''listen'' to the sound the drum head makes. If it works like this PS on a cymbal should work fine too.

I have just completed dampening one of my A to E cymbals (12 inch splash). The edge, bow and bell still have their own sound. When I tap the cymbal with a stick, from edge to bell, I can hear the sound change.
The cymbal still needs to have a piezo place, where would be the best place to place the piezo? On my hi hat cymbal I have placed the piezo a bit behind the bell on the rear of the cymbal. I did this to prevent creating a hot spot.

Here is a picture to show the location of the piezo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
100% DIY!
MegaDrum and a DIY e-kit.
CyberFly

Postby dmitri » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

CyberFly wrote:
dmitri wrote:As far as I know positional sensing for cymbals only works with Roland cymbals. What signal they produce and how good it works with Roland modules I have no idea. If they produce the same type positional signals as mesh head pads with a centrally placed piezo then then positional sensing will work for them as well on MegaDrum.

After reading this thread I still wonder how Positional Sensing works.
Does the piezo ''listen'' to the sound the drum head makes. If it works like this PS on a cymbal should work fine too.

I have just completed dampening one of my A to E cymbals (12 inch splash). The edge, bow and bell still have their own sound. When I tap the cymbal with a stick, from edge to bell, I can hear the sound change.

The sound may be different but unless the difference is noticeable in the signal form a piezo within 1-4ms (pretty much first half wave) from the hit this difference is useless.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby CyberFly » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am

dmitri wrote:The sound may be different but unless the difference is noticeable in the signal form a piezo within 1-4ms (pretty much first half wave) from the hit this difference is useless.

Is there a way I can test this or gather data?
I'm still running on the newest non protected firmware, 2.8 kit.
100% DIY!
MegaDrum and a DIY e-kit.
CyberFly

Postby dmitri » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:37 pm

CyberFly wrote:
dmitri wrote:The sound may be different but unless the difference is noticeable in the signal form a piezo within 1-4ms (pretty much first half wave) from the hit this difference is useless.

Is there a way I can test this or gather data?

With an oscilloscope.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:29 pm

CyberFly wrote:Is there a way I can test this or gather data?
I'm still running on the newest non protected firmware, 2.8 kit.

For a ride cymbal - I have found it is best to place the PZT under the cymbal but at the place it is being hit most often. Yo - I swing just up from above mid radius (big cymbals start to swing below this point and I like a sick, I mean, a STICK sound) so my PZT goes on just below this point.

I think cymbals vibrate in a circular fashion but as the vibrations propagate, the lower frequencies (toward the edge) naturally resonate longer because it is less stiff there.

Low frequency means longer latency - I say this so there is as little latency between what you do and what you hear.
Ken Forgettable

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware