Some noob questions about DIY PCB

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Some noob questions about DIY PCB

Postby elrules » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi, I have just bought a virgin PCB and a bottle of ferric chloride. I plan to make the last Synthex PCB design. And I have some questions about the process of making my own printed circuit.

The ferric chloride comes in small balls. I have to dissolve them with water. After I use them, can I put it back to its bottle to use it more times in the future ??(if in my first try I don't achieve a good PCB) or is the chloride only "one-use"?

What type of paper is better to use for printing the circuit?

And the main doubt... what is the diameter of the drill I have to use for making the holes? In my local store I have 0'5mm, 0'7mm, 0'8mm, 1mm, etc. Is it easy to make the holes having the driller in your hand or is it necessary to use a driller holder like the one shown in the youtube videos dmitri posted?

Thanks!
elrules

Re: Some noob questions about DIY PCB

Postby Synthex » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:26 pm

elrules wrote:Hi, I have just bought a virgin PCB and a bottle of ferric chloride. I plan to make the last Synthex PCB design. And I have some questions about the process of making my own printed circuit.
The ferric chloride comes in small balls. I have to dissolve them with water. After I use them, can I put it back to its bottle to use it more times in the future ??(if in my first try I don't achieve a good PCB) or is the chloride only "one-use"?

You can use the ferric chloride several times.

elrules wrote:What type of paper is better to use for printing the circuit?

As you wish ... There is special paper for that.

elrules wrote:And the main doubt... what is the diameter of the drill I have to use for making the holes? In my local store I have 0'5mm, 0'7mm, 0'8mm, 1mm, etc. Is it easy to make the holes having the driller in your hand or is it necessary to use a driller holder like the one shown in the youtube videos dmitri posted?

You can drill all holes at 0,8 mm and 1 mm for connectors.
The best thing is to have a driller holder.
Synthex

Postby elrules » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for your replies Synthex.

So, if anyone can say something more about the type of paper it would be nice. ;)

PD: about the driller holder.... damn it! How much could that cost? I can find in my electronics shop a driller for small holes for 20 euros, but the holder...
elrules

Postby Synthex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Rather than buying a lot of hardware, you can buy my PCB ... :P
Synthex

Postby elrules » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:28 am

I asked my uncle and he has a driller holder but his driller is big and he has the hole for attaching big and medium drills. In my electronic shop they have 1mm drills, but they are so slim I can't get them tight in the driller. So.... is there any drills (1mm) that comes with an adapter in their base for attaching them to bigger drillers? Where can I find them?

Rather than buying a lot of hardware, you can buy my PCB ... :P
It would be the easiest, Synthex, but I would love to feel the pleasure of doing it myself and learn of it.
elrules

Postby Synthex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:10 pm

elrules wrote:is there any drills (1mm) that comes with an adapter in their base for attaching them to bigger drillers?

You have this :
drill adaptor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synthex

Postby elrules » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:18 am

Thanks a lot synthex. I will pay a visit to my local stores.
elrules

Postby astachurski » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm

elrules wrote:Thanks for your replies Synthex.

So, if anyone can say something more about the type of paper it would be nice. ;)

PD: about the driller holder.... damn it! How much could that cost? I can find in my electronics shop a driller for small holes for 20 euros, but the holder...

The best paper I've found is from some color magazine. Not too glossy and not to thick. You have to experiment with it. Temperature - slightly below 'wool'. Ironing time - between 40 - 90 seconds. Don't waste your money for some 'special' paper. Take a few titles and you'll find the best paper for you. BTW - don't worry - offset printing will NEVER go off the paper - only toner will be transferred onto your pcb. I've made many of pcbs (even for SMD assembly) - always with very good results.
BTW: there's one much better chemical than FeCL3... (Na2S2O8) or Sodium Persulfate. Doesn't make stains and much safer in use than FeCL3. Gives better precision and costs the same money.

Let me know if you need more details on it...

brgds!
astachurski

Return to MegaDrum Hardware