Power supply (again)

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Power supply (again)

Postby estregan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:28 am

Hi! Greetings from the Philippines!

First, congratulations on this project of yours! I have built the edrum by admir and stumbled upon this site by way of aquawicket's edrum monitor.

Now, my question is what if I want to use the megadrum with an outboard drum hardware/sampler and not with my computer? Where do I get the power since I wont connect it to my computer for sounds?

Thanks!
Last edited by estregan on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
estregan

Re: Pwer supply

Postby dmitri » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:45 am

Hi estregan,

In this case you can use one of power supplies used to charge many types of devices which can be charge either via USB or with a separate powers supply. Many nowadays MP3 players, Windows smartphones and communicators use mini USB socket for both syncronizing with a PC or connecting to a charger. You can use one of such power supplies, you'll just have to use mini USB socket on the Digital Board instead of a standard USB socket.

Regards
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any voltage and ampere requirements? If there are, what voltage and ampere specifications would they be?
estregan

Postby dmitri » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 pm

The requirements are the same as provided by USB on a PC: 5V regulated, 500mA. I think that any "mini USB" type power supply will do.

Regards
Dmitri
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Power supply (again)

Postby estregan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:34 am

dmitri wrote:The requirements are the same as provided by USB on a PC: 5V regulated, 500mA. I think that any "mini USB" type power supply will do.

Regards
Dmitri

Hi again, sorry to resurrect this old thread but I got an inquiry from a fellow musician regarding the power supply when I told him your recommendation of using some kind of USB charger/adaptor/power supply. Here is what he asked:

The problem with these inexpensive adaptors is that most of the time their rectification is half wave, line noise sometimes go in. Inasmuch as this is merely a midi trigger, line noise can fudge up the electronics to some extent. Would the power supply have some sort of filtering?
estregan

Postby Synthex » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:17 am

Something like that ! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synthex

Postby dmitri » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 am

Of course some doggy power adapter can damage MegaDrum, but my key words were "5V, regulated, 500mA". As long as the power adapter complies with it, MegaDrum will be happy to get some electricity from it:) All usb chargesI have in my house(mostly which came with various phones) powered MegaDrum without any problems.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware