Which Hall sensor for Hit hat?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Which Hall sensor for Hit hat?

Postby Maylord.war » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Hello

i see more topic's but i'm confused, i would like make the hit hat controller with hall effect sensor and delete the slider.

Can tell me the hall effect and the relative magnet for a correct works?

if anyone have tried the configuration pleae post the links for buyed the component.

Very thanks

Regars
Maylord.war

Re: Which Hall sensor for Hit hat?

Postby ignotus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 am

Hi!

I bought a sensor model: A1302EUA-T at bitsbox.co.uk, but right now they're out of stock (I'm sure other online electronics stores should have them; depends where you live) and used a neodymium magnet taken from an old pc hard disk (if you google around there are instructions on how to get it out - you can also find these magnets in cd or dvd drives but they're too small). I'ts a flat magnet with both polarities on each side, so you snap it in half, join both pieces, and it works flawlessly. I attached the sensor to the HH baseplate and the magnet to the underside of the pedal.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby Maylord.war » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Very thanks for your reply

yes the sensor is out of stock, i live in Italy, you know any site for order?

Regarding the magnet i have 2 hard disk of pc without use, i will get the magnet!

Is a very good and clean solution i would like put the sensor and the magnet in the hit hat, on High and Low cymbal, very good for simulate the open and close positon of the acustic Hit hat :D
Maylord.war

Postby ignotus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Here are pictures of how to locate the magnets in a hard disk: http://www.sestarragona.es/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-51.html -scroll down the thread. You have to separate them from the metal plate they are stuck on to with some care. What I did was hold on to the edges (of the metal part, not the magnet) with two pliers and bent it away from the magnet, which comes off pretty easily. You have to be careful because the magnet is easy to break as it is fairly fragile.

If you want to place the components on the actual cymbals these flat magnets might not be the best option due to the rotation of the cymbals - a ring-shaped magnet would be better. This is why I put mine in the pedal, and I don't really think there can be much of a difference -if any- regarding performance. All you need is a response to the pedal/top cymbal (they are mechanically connected) movement (with the magnet attached) with respect to the sensor.

As for the sensor, I can't help you out there - I had a look at Farnell.it but they also seem to be out of stock.

Maybe you can ask in the Italian forum if anyone knows about where to get it in Italy.

Or you can write to the bloke who runs bitsbox to ask if he'll be stocking that sensor again.
ignotus

Postby StevieG » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I find Ebay has alot of sensors that I need
maybe this will work for you since they are also linear

http://cgi.ebay.it/2PCS-UGN3503UA-UGN35 ... 45f25b9f7f
StevieG

Postby JLantz » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 am

ignotus,

I am using the same HES and magnet as you but am having problems getting good sensitivity.

Are you using MCT? If so, would you mind posting your HiHat settings?
JLantz

Postby ignotus » Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 am

Hi JLantz,

Right now I'm away from my MD and I don't use MCT (it never worked very well for me on linux), but it's a question of getting your high and low levels right. In mine I think it's something like 500 (low) and 800 (high), the rest I left at the default settings. If you're using a magnet taken out of a hard disk, it's important that you snap it in half (then join the halves together face to face for more strength) because otherwise you have both polarities on each side and it won't work. Try with both sides of the magnet. Does it do anything at all when you move it towards and away from the sensor? Try to determine the distance range within which the sensor reacts and then adjust high and low levels in the pedal settings. Even if I gave you my exact settings it probably wouldn't be much help because it's highly unlikely that we'd be using the exact same distance range, so focus on high and low levels and after a bit of fiddling you should be sorted.
ignotus

Postby ignotus » Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 pm

For anyone interested in knowing how to get these magnets, I noticed that the link I provided above doesn't work any more. Here's another link, in English, that offers a much clearer explanation: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Hard-Disk-Drive-M ... rbines.htm
ignotus

Postby JLantz » Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 am

:D Got it working!

I had it hooked up wrong :oops:

On the pin-out diagram below, I initially used the LH surface mount column instead of the correct UA column.

The A1302 Hall effect sensors are readily available and cheap on US eBay, and the hard drive magnets work great!

Thanks ignotus!

JLantz

Postby JLantz » Thu May 06, 2010 6:13 am

I'm really digging this hall effect HiHat pedal solution. Way, way easier than the sliding pots (and I'll skip the optical, thank you). 8-)

Here is what I've come up with tonight messing around with configurations- just to show the simplicity. The components are so small and easy to place, why put it up in the hats? Great response and easy tweaking. Man, I love Megadrum!!!

I'll button it up proper and post a pic in the next few days.

JLantz

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware