Do we need an megadrum driver

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Do we need an megadrum driver

Postby tanatos » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 am

We finaly finished our prototype of our megadrum. We use an avr-cdc to connect to pc via usb.
But after the installation of the avr driver nothing happend. We used the edrum monitor and ni-battery to get connected to the megadrum but we could not see it. There has not been any input devices to choose of. Do we need special driver? Or does these programs do not support com-devices / usb-devices? I hope, we did not make something wrong... finding the mistake will be pretty hard...
tanatos

Re: Do we need an megadrum driver

Postby dmitri » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:57 am

Hi tanatos,

When using MegaDrum over USB, first you will need to install USB->Serial driver. How to do it with AVR-CDC option it is explained on http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/ and in the documentation coming in the project archive. Once you have a virtual USB serial port you'll need to install Serial->MIDI driver. I use a Roland driver available from http://www.roland.com/products/en/_supp ... &iCncd=724
I'll add more info about it in the documentation section later on.

Regards
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:21 am

I've updated the documentation to include information about installing USB drivers.

Regards
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby slayer666 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm no computer programmer or so, but is it possible to make a Megadrum installer containing all the required drivers and Megadrum controller in 1 file?

/slayer666 \m/
slayer666

Postby aquawicket » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Unless they are peices software you have written, you run into legality issues with re-distributing the files. It is important to read the license agrement to see if you can package the files and distribute them.
aquawicket

Postby dmitri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi Slayer666,

I don't think it'll be ok to distribute Roland or Kawai drivers from the MegaDrum site.

Dmitri
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby slayer666 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Maybe we could start a sourceforge dev on that megadrum driver. I'm not a programmer and I don't know jack about drivers but I'll be happy to betatest and help out in that way instead. ;)

Any thoughts?
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am

I don't think it's worth spending a lot of time developing Serial-to-MIDI driver.

First, the future version of Edrum Monitor will support COM ports as MIDI In/Out ports so it won't be necessary to install Roland, Kawai or any other Serial-to-MIDI drivers.

Second, if you want, you can get one of inexpensive USB MIDI cables, e.g. available from ebay like this one for under £10, disassemble it, build it into MegaDrum taking power from it and interconnecting MIDI In/Out. It is not exactly true DIY and you may need to spend a bit more money than for AVR-CDC USB Board, but it is on par with FT232 USB board in that respect. But the big plus is that you won't need any additional drivers for Windows or Mac OS since the drivers are already there.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware