Mega Drum Malfunctioning?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Mega Drum Malfunctioning?

Postby anewdayproductions » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Something tells me I have a faulty unit. The link here shows what it's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPzyPE4NKc

I changed my input assignments today and saved it (Save All) as an mds file via the software manager. When I send the new settings to the unit I'm inconsistently getting Sysex errors in the software manager and have to restart the unit. Also, I made absolutely certain that when changing my inputs and their respective parameters, the values (per instrument assignment) did not change. I went over everything very carefully and they are identical to the old settings. They're just on different inputs now. The midi light is mostly staying on now and as you can see on the display of the unit it's acting all kinds of strange. I just can't believe this is normal. I can load up my old mds file for the old input assignment and there are no issues. That makes no sense. With exception to Input 1 (the hi-hat controller) I should be able to plug anything into wherever I want. Another thing that's happening now is my cymbal chokes are no longer working in Superior Drummer 3. Since changing physical inputs on MD all of sudden they simply don't work. Although the settings in both MD and SD3 are the same as before.

Also, I discovered that Aux 8 apparently is not working properly. I had a cymbal/choke plugged into it and when changing the "Type" in the main trigger setting to "Dual or 3way Yamaha" the sound just stopped. I tried the exact settings (with the Switch in Rim/Edge selected) in another aux input and no problems. This unit has been very inconsistent and extremely frustrating.

I'm just about to give up on MD and go another direction. And just when I felt like I was really starting to get my head around this thing. Now, it does all this.
anewdayproductions

Re: Mega Drum Malfunctioning?

Postby dmitri » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm

From the video I see that MegaDrum is loaded with bad config, e.g. some inputs had Threshold set too low.
You can either start with "old mds file for the old input assignment and there are no issues" or you can start MegaDrum with default config by powering it up while holding the Right button pressed.
After that I suggest to start configuring it with one pad/cymbal at a time and raise questions each time you encounter problems.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Yeah, I did just manually copy the settings input by input in the manager with the new input assignments. I have no clue how to read the display on the actual unit. So I'm just going to stick with the software approach. What I don't understand is why would I suddenly have all these issues with simply changing physical inputs and copying the new settings to them? Should I start over and send each channel with the new settings to the unit one at a time as I do them? Also, I don't have my settings completely dialed in on everything yet. I'm still figuring out the parameters. But, I have made progress.

Why is the unit so seemingly inconsistent on inputs/settings?
anewdayproductions

Postby dmitri » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:27 pm

I cannot guess what you config change you did which caused apparent problems. And this is why I suggest doing one step at a time and report problems when you encounter them. This way I will be able to help to identify what caused a problem at each step.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:32 pm

Okay, I'm going to try it again from the default input settings and send each new input to the unit as I do it. Thank you for your prompt help. I want to make this work if at all possible.
anewdayproductions

Postby anewdayproductions » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:52 am

Well, I re-did everything and it ends up it was user error. I actually got the settings the same on what I was using trigger wise. But, on the inputs I wasn't using I zeroed everything out (including the thresholds) which is why it was doing what it was doing with the midi light. So that explains that. I'm not sure why the unit was doing those other things I mentioned though. Like the chokes not working and so forth. But, everything is working now so I'm going to chalk it up to an anomaly and move on. Thanks for your help Dmitri. I guess I just needed a nudge in the right direction. I need to get this hi-hat setup now and then I think I about have everything other than really getting a feel for the trigger parameters. And I know that will take a little time.

I saw this post, but I'm not sure that I totally understand it yet.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4923&p=37088&hilit=hi+hat+and+controller#p37088

I'm going to call it a day and take a break for now and come back to it tomorrow.
anewdayproductions

Return to MegaDrum Hardware