Need Help With Cymbal Choking

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Need Help With Cymbal Choking

Postby anewdayproductions » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Disclaimer....... I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm using Superior Drummer 3 for my sound library. And I'm able to trigger a simple crash (or anything else) with MD. But, I haven't got a clue how to set up the choke feature with my hardware and the MD Manager. It's completely above my head.

I need someone to talk to me in very simple terms and tell me exactly what I need to do to get my chokes working with my cymbals with Superior Drummer 3.

These are the cymbals I'm using.

https://www.magnatrack.com/shop/electro ... sh-cymbal/

Thanks,

Steve
anewdayproductions

Re: Need Help With Cymbal Choking

Postby dmitri » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 pm

Do you know if it is a piezo/switch cymbal, like Yamaha or Roland dual zone cymbals?
If yes, start with https://www.megadrum.info/content/setti ... one-cymbal but skip steps 5 and 8 and set BNote equal to Edge Note.
If any problems with the steps/results, please describe these problems and results here.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 pm

I'm not certain. There is the main trigger and then a strip on the edge of the cymbal for choking. Each one of those plug into a 3.5mm adapter (left and right) and then out of that (stereo) via a balanced trs cable. Which then goes into the Mega Drum. I'll try those steps here shortly.
anewdayproductions

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:13 am

Is the edge strip on top of the cymbal or underneath? If it is underneath then it is a single zone cymbal with a choke, i.e. the edge strip can only be used for choking but not for edge triggering. It doesn't make much difference for configuring the cymbal but any Edge will be irrelevant as the edge cannot be triggered with a hit.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 am

After you followed the steps, 'Get' the cymbal settings from MegaDrum to MDMFX, take a screenshot of settings and post it here.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:13 am

I don't understand steps 1 and 7. There is no "DualHead" anywhere to say Yes to.

And on step 7 when it says: "In the menu navigate to 'Set All EdgeSw', press Up to change from No to Yes and then press Right. It then will show 'Working'."

I have no idea what this means or where these things are in MD manager. I have firmware: 20210520 so maybe that's the difference in it not showing these things?

Also, the strip for the choke is underneath the cymbal.
anewdayproductions

Postby anewdayproductions » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:17 am

MD.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anewdayproductions

Postby anewdayproductions » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 am

Surprise surprise, I got it working. Here are my settings. Also, in Superior Drummer 3 "Aftertouch" is selected in the tab named "Mute Tale Trigger." Which is also default.

So now that I have the chokes working I have a question. Can you tell me what I need to do in the MD settings to make the choking strip on the cymbal more sensitive to touch? That way I don't have to grab it as hard for it to work. That would just feel a little better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anewdayproductions

Postby ignotus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am

You can't make an edge switch more sensitive via software settings. It's either open or closed and the sensitivity depends on how much mechanical force is required to close it.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby anewdayproductions » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:14 pm

Okay thanks for the info.
anewdayproductions

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware