ATV Cymbal connection

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: ATV Cymbal connection

Postby airflamesred » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I too am confused. Am I correct in thinking that this cymbal is using just one stereo input?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:28 pm

This isn´t correct. This is the cymbal I am using:
https://www.thomann.de/de/atv_adrums_ar ... arch_prv_4
So it has 2 Stereo Outs and hence Needs two Stereo ins for it to work as a three Zone cymbal which makes it a Roland style 3 Zone cymbal.

From the Ground up:
I connected the bell Output to stereo Input 6/7 making the head/bow channel of 6/7 my bow channel. I set the type of Input 6 to Roland 3 way. Input 7, wich is the bell Input, is set to switch.

The from the Edge Output coming cable should be connected to the following Input, which is Input 8/9 in my case. Type in the head/bow Input is set to Dual or 3 way Yamah as suggested by Dmitri
dmitri wrote:Set it to ""Dual or 3Way Yamaha" so that the next pair of inputs is not interpreted as part of a a Roland 3way cymbal.

Type pf the rim/edge input (9) is set to switch. The settings for the edge of the cymbal should be in input channel 9.
dmitri wrote:Bow settings are in Aux1 Head, Edge settings - in Aux2 Rim, Bell settings - in Aux1 Rim.

(Aux1 corrresponds to 6/7 and Aux2 to 8/9 in my case)

These are the first 5 steps of how to set up a Roland 3zone cymbal as described here:
dmitri wrote:1. Plug the Bow/Bell cable into Aux1
2. Plug the Bow/Edge cable into Aux2
3. For Aux1 Head set Type to 3way Roland
4. For Aux1 Rim set Type to Switch
5. For Aux2 Rim set Type to Switch
6. From http://www.megadrum.info/content/miscellaneous-settings use 'Set All EdgeSw' option to auto-set Threshold on Aux1 Rim and Aux2 Rim. After completing this procedure you will have Threshold on Aux1 Rim and Aux2 Rim set between 1 and 50. You may still adjust these Threholds slightly so that when you press/release either the edge or the bell switch you get MIDI Aftertouch On/Off messages. You can use either MegaDrum Manager or MIDI-OX to monitor for MIDI Aftertouch messages.
7. At this step you should have zone separation for all 3 zones and you will need to configure all other parameters (don't change Gain setting otherwise you will need to start from step 6 again). Bow settings are in Aux1 Head, Edge settings - in Aux2 Rim, Bell settings - in Aux1 Rim.

as mentioned earlier I did step 6 with the resultng problem described in my previous post:
JOmgdLAT wrote:The Problem I have is that, whenever I strike the bell or the bow of my Cymbal the head/bow section of the second ride cymbal Input (bow/Edge) sends a midi note, too. This is the main Problem.
in the midi log from this post
...After the rimshot with vel 127/note 37 I hit bell/bell/bow/bow/Edge/Edge

You can see that after having striked th bell (61) or the bow (60) there is Always the midi note 0 which Comes from the head/bow channel of the bow/Edge ride Input.

And when I strike the Edge of my ride it is also the head/bow channel which is being triggered, which you can see in the same post as well. the last two notes that are seen in the midi log were Ride Edge strikes. They should be in my case the note 62 (from the rim/Edge channel of the bow/Edge Input) and not the note 0 from the head/bow channel of the bow/Edge ride Input)
JOmgdLAT

Postby dmitri » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm

1. You're setting it up as a 3way Roland cymbal. Is it really a Roland type cymbal, i.e. pizeo/switch/switch?
2. To disable an input don't set its Note to 0 - you have to check 'Disable' setting instead.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:58 pm

1. To be honest I haven´t found that specific piece of infprmation. But everywhere, where it is explained how to set up this cymbal, it is said that the atv cymbals have to be set up like a Roland CY5-15R, which certainly is a Piezo/switch/switch. And of Course it has 2 ride Outputs, which makes it more likely to be a Piezo/switch/switch cymbal.

2. Why would I want to disable an Input? Should I do that with the head/bow section from Input 8/9?
I quickly try that out.
JOmgdLAT

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:03 pm

dmitri wrote:2. To disable an input don't set its Note to 0 - you have to check 'Disable' setting instead.

Thank you very much. Disabling Input 8 solved my Problem.
Now I´ve got a good Zone Separation and I Need to work on the other Parameters.

Thanks again and have a good evening!
JOmgdLAT

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware