Roland FD-8 pedal not working with Hi Hat Pad

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Roland FD-8 pedal not working with Hi Hat Pad

Postby BBdrmz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:32 pm

I do not really know how to articulate any better way than saying that I do not understand to configuration the settings for the Roland FD-8 Hi Hat pedal in conjunction with megadrum. I use an older Ddrum Hi Hat as the main Hi Hat ( I believe to have 3 sensors) with the FD8 as the foot control. Before switching units the two worked fine together. I use Superior Drum 3. I have the ARM 56 version. I downloaded the Manager FX and it will not link up, or change from red lights. Maybe this is a part of the problem?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ddrum-hi-hat-controller
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FD8--roland-fd-8-hi-hat-control-pedal

Above are links to the two units. Maybe someone can give me some help?
BBdrmz

Re: Roland FD-8 pedal not working with Hi Hat Pad

Postby dmitri » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:45 pm

BBdrmz wrote: I downloaded the Manager FX and it will not link up, or change from red lights. Maybe this is a part of the problem?

In MDMFX->Main->Options, what did you select as MIDI In and MIDI Out?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby BBdrmz » Thu May 07, 2020 8:19 pm

If I remember correctly, I have tried every different option. The midi notes work going into my daw. I get midi note values. The fx manager doesn't link up. Therefore, no control from the PC. I am currently using USB.
BBdrmz

Postby dmitri » Thu May 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Most MIDI apps by default try to use all available MIDI ports. If used with MDMFX at the same time it will likely cause conflicts.
This is why MegaDrum presents two MIDI ports over USB (two In and two Out) so that you can configure MDMFX to use one MIDI In/Out. You must ensure that the MIDI app you use is configured to use another MegaDrum MIDI port to avoid conflicts.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby BBdrmz » Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 pm

You mean that if I try to use the old style midi pin and the USB simultaneously that there can be conflicts? My understanding was that the transmission to the computer software had to be on the old style connection. How would the unit be powered if I disconnect the USB midi? I've never really liked using USB for drums anyway because it would send notes not played. "Ghost" notes so to speak. Notes played by some ghost or something. Not the typical percussion lingo.
Honestly, I can't even update the software on my MD unit. I've successfully downloaded the file but cannot get it to transfer. I hope something changes fast. We are writing and can't afford this to hold everyone up. I appreciate the help so far.
I've ordered new hats with more control. Hopefully my pedal was just garbage. It seemed to have quit completely after testing on another unit. Anyway, any more help towards getting me updated on the MD unit would be appreciated. Or should I start a different thread?
BBdrmz

Postby dmitri » Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm

You can use standard MIDI if you like but you don't have to. MegaDrum presents two virtual MIDI interface over USB (two virtual MIDI Ins and two virtual MIDI outs) - you configure MDMFX to use one of these and you must configure your MIDI/Drum synth app to use only the second interface (or vice versa).
You can of course configure MDMFX or your MIDI/Drum synth app to use the standard MIDI port if you like as I mentioned above.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware