Megadrum + Guitar Hero World tour

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

Re: Megadrum + Guitar Hero World tour

Postby speterman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:38 am

elrules wrote:PD: Do you know which accesories do I need for playing guitar hero world tour, guitar hero metallica and rock band? I already have a guitar that I can use with guitar hero 1,2 and 3. But when I start Guitar Hero Metallica (for example) it asks me to plug something. Do I need (mandatory) a microphone or something like that to play that game? Could someone tell me what exactly I need to play that game? (Note: I already have a guitar hero 2 guitar and microphones of the SingStar, and a megadrum kit ;) )

I have GH1, GH2, GH3, GHWT, Rokband 1 & 2 for playstation 2 working perfectly with a guitar hero 2 guitar ( Red one without USB).
Maybe you need GH3 (or GHWT) guitar (with USB) to play GH Metallica and new ones! But I cannot ensure this. I have Metallica´s one for xbox only (As always, microsoft prefers not to use a standard interface :x )

What I´m sure is that SingStar microphones doesn´t work with any GH & RB (I tried). On playstation works any standard PC-USB microphone, or the official for Playstation (is PC-USB standard too)

I´m going to be out for a week, I will have internet access but no access to developement boards & electronic stuff so.. I will continue with this project when I come back. But all the info you can catch for me will be appreciated! :D
speterman

Postby Rubis » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Here are some tests with the Rock Band drums. I just hit the pads or stomped on the pedal repeatedly for a while, then saved the USBTrace log. I also included a control with no pads hit. I can't really test the GHWT drum set like this, because I took it apart to make a midi box out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rubis

Postby elrules » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Well, there was something wrong with my old ps2, now the disc is read ok, and I can use my cheap Chinese guitar with Guitar Hero Metallica.

Please, keep the good work here so we can also play Guitar hero with our edrums!
elrules

Postby der Papst » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Why do you want to do the whole reverse engineering again?
As far as i know, Threads on Fire supports also the Guitar Hero-Instruments and this game is open source. :)
der Papst

Postby Rubis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:12 pm

der Papst wrote:Why do you want to do the whole reverse engineering again?
As far as i know, Threads on Fire supports also the Guitar Hero-Instruments and this game is open source. :)

Because we want to play GHWT and Rock Band using our MegaDrums, not play a different (albiet similar) game with the official instruments. If you can somehow get all the info you need from the Threads on Fire (Frets on Fire?) source, then please help us. I doubt it has everything we need.
Rubis

Postby speterman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

For me, the main reason for reverse-engineering this devices is that I have not a PS3 /2 ghwt or RB drumkit to analize the usb protocol used.

After seen Rubi´s logs and descriptors, I can assure that the drumkits are only emulating USB standard gamepads, so this will make developping easier.

Rubis, If It doesn´t bother you too much, can you get the enumerating proccess log of the two drumkits? The enumeration process is the usb phase where the descriptors are sent (tells the host what kind of usb device is it). That´s to say, you should check the entire usb host ports in usbtrace before attaching the drumkit. Make sure that usbtrace´s hotplug feature is on, and then simply connect the drumkit. It should catch all the enumeration process.

I need this to know the hid-features enabled for each drumkit (number of buttons, axis,etc). This info should have been listed by lsusb -vvv but it gives you an error.

Thanks in advantage!
speterman

Postby der Papst » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Rubis wrote:Because we want to play GHWT and Rock Band using our MegaDrums, not play a different (albiet similar) game with the official instruments.
You missunderstood me!
I mean, when "Frets on Fire" supports the official instruments, the developers must have done already the reverse engineering I hope they they will share their informations with us :)

(Supporting the official controllers in the game and emulating the official controller needs the same informations...)
der Papst

Postby elrules » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm

der Papst wrote:
Rubis wrote:Because we want to play GHWT and Rock Band using our MegaDrums, not play a different (albiet similar) game with the official instruments.
You missunderstood me!
I mean, when "Frets on Fire" supports the official instruments, the developers must have done already the reverse engineering I hope they they will share their informations with us :)

(Supporting the official controllers in the game and emulating the official controller needs the same informations...)
Very clever ;)
elrules

Postby davem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm

The PS3 GHWT drum controller is also a gamepad controller. I've looked up Frets on Fire, and they use the pygame module to get input from the guitar. If you have Python installed and pygame too, you can have a look at least see controller with a simple bit of code:

Code: Select all
import pygame, pygame.joystick

pygame.init()
pygame.joystick.init()

if pygame.joystick.get_init():
  count = pygame.joystick.get_count()
  for i in range(0,count):
    joystick = pygame.joystick.Joystick(i)
    joystick.init()
    if joystick.get_init():
      print joystick.get_name()

I'm going to play around with this a bit because it might be a fun project. Hopefully I will have a bit of time to look into this a bit further.
davem

Postby Rubis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:24 pm

der Papst wrote:
You missunderstood me!

Sorry I came down on you, earlier. I don't think this has all the information we need (the enumeration stuff mostly, it may have the button mappings for all the other stuff though). Frets on Fire treats it like a normal game controller (which it pretty much is) so I imagine it would accept any controller input the same way, just with different mapping. It would not have the identification information needed, but the backend at least should give slightly more readable information on what buttons are pressed. It could be a good resource, especially when we get to the testing phases. It doesn't take me that long to record this stuff with USBTrace. I don't know how long it takes Speterman or anyone else to go through it all though.

I have a new rar file with enumeration, enumeration and connection, and the button tests added.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rubis

PreviousNext

Return to Related Software