Support for Yamaha-style 3-zone(TP65s alike) snare/hi-hat

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Support for Yamaha-style 3-zone(TP65s alike) snare/hi-hat

Postby kkotyagin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello, Dmitri.

I have an issue with Yamaha TP65S pads. Pads are connected to snare and hiHat inputs of the megadrum. I can't get all 3 zones of TP65S pad. Is it supported ? (I think it's not, but maybe I missed something ?)
kkotyagin

Re: Support for Yamaha-style 3-zone(TP65s alike) snare/hi-hat

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm

dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kkotyagin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Hmm... It seems I'm too dumb to make a correct settings :(

As I understand you have no ability(due to schematics) to determine which switch of a pad triggered at the particular moment of time. And your algorythm uses the fact that different type of hit results in different levels of signal on piezo.
That's why setting of various parameters like threshold and so on is so important. Am I right ?
kkotyagin

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:10 pm

No, you are wrong.
A search for 'yamaha 3 zone' will reveal a lot of posts on this: http://www.megadrum.info/forums/search. ... mit=Search
Among the results there is this topic: http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=293
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kkotyagin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for answers and sorry for bothering.
I'd already read those posts, but I't seems I'm confused a little.
Well, I'll keep trying :)
kkotyagin

Postby dmitri » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Btw, I myself don't have a 3 zone cymbal (either Yamaha or Roland) and did my tests on a mock pad which looks like this:
3way1.jpg

3way2.jpg

Maybe someone with a real 3 zone cymbal will write a step-by-step guide on how to configure it and I'll post it in the documentation section of the website?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kkotyagin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

My pads are okay now :) Slow, careful and correct setting up process is very important. It took me two hours to understand how to set up one pad and five minutes to set up the others. Although, zone detection is not 100 % reliable. Sometimes(very rarely) I get incorrect midi notes. But I think that another iteration of tuning will help. It seems that I have to play with MinScan value or with overall Latency.

Btw, as I'm a person who owns yahaha drumset I'm going to make a video tutorial of 3way pads tuning process and post it to the Youtube. I think it will be done in week or something like this.

Question to Dmitri: is BThreshold actually matters is this situation ? I couldn't find any noticeable differences.
kkotyagin

Postby dmitri » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:22 pm

kkotyagin wrote:My pads are okay now :) Slow, careful and correct setting up process is very important. It took me two hours to understand how to set up one pad and five minutes to set up the others. Although, zone detection is not 100 % reliable. Sometimes(very rarely) I get incorrect midi notes. But I think that another iteration of tuning will help. It seems that I have to play with MinScan value or with overall Latency.

Btw, as I'm a person who owns yahaha drumset I'm going to make a video tutorial of 3way pads tuning process and post it to the Youtube. I think it will be done in week or something like this.

Question to Dmitri: is BThreshold actually matters is this situation ? I couldn't find any noticeable differences.

Yes, correct settings on both Threshold and BThreshold are very important. They determine if it is an edge or a bell being hit.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kkotyagin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Okay, I will tune my pads another 10 times from scratch and then I'll make a tutorial on it.
kkotyagin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware