Complete definitive list of materials to order with links

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Complete definitive list of materials to order with links

Postby dmitri » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 pm

In OpenOffice Calc format:
Definitive order list.ods

In PDF format:
Definitive order list.pdf

You may say I cheated a bit calling it 'complete' since it misses wires/cables but other than that I'm pretty sure it is complete, including an enclosure, a copper clad and even etchant.
It also includes direct links to Farnell, Rapid Online and Ebay parts and even a best mix and match between these online shops.
I'm sure it is possible to order some parts cheaper in other places but I hope it'll be a good guide for finding these other places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Complete definitive list of materials to order with links

Postby ohawker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Takes the fun out of it ;)

good idea though! cheers
ohawker

Postby CairnsFella » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 am

I think it's great that dimitri puts time into helping us less able individuals.. and us with less time on our hands.

This said (and the following is not a complaint, as much as it may sound like one... just a point of view from my own experiences so far)...

The problem with posting lists like these within the forum (and not in sticky's) is that the more I try to reasearch by going through the forums, the more conflicting information I find. Not lots and lots... but enough to be confusing. Of course much of this can be attributted to development, differerent versions, and the redundancy of older info. But of course this information is still there and without "extra" research, it is hard to know what is current and what isnt.

In my very humble opinion, lists, such as this compnents list, should reside in one place, and one place only. Any subseuqnt changes and updates could be reffered to in the forum pages, but referred back to the same single source of information.

This list could be in table or spreadsheet form to allow for updates or version histories which could easily be distinguished by unique columns.

An important addition from my perspective, would also be appropriatte notes (also easily incorporated in a table / spreadsheet) to provide relevant usefull info. Examples of this include - but are not limited to - capacitor and resistor tolerances. I note in a number of posts people ask, "i can only find 'x' watt OR "y" ohms etc. Sometimes the answer is this is ok, other times not. The table could therefore also include "max 'x' " and "min 'y' ".

Nearly finished (sorry.. I may be getting carried away) but the cables etc mentioned in the original post are also one of the areas that I am personally less clear upon, so I see these as quite an important area to clarify.

Finally, there is a useful post that describes what components are required / not required for various elements of the build e.g USB, LCD display etc. Again, this could also be a column in the components list.

OK... I should conclude that I am but one person and these are just my views. I am equally aware that the guys here provide an amazing amount of thier time to give information and assistance, so I am not ungrateful for what whe have so far... indeed I have been suffiiently impressed with what I have seen to order a kit which I happily just received.

Ultimately it is the majority views that count, so of course if anyone can see what I am getting at and agrees / disagrees, it will all help the guys continue down the best path.

As soon as I have some spare time I would be willing to draft something, which of course dimitri would need to edit, as my knowledge is very poor..... but.... when I will have time I am really not sure. :|

Thanks for reading.

PS. I should have said, as soon as I have some time I will build my kit :D ..... then maybe....
CairnsFella

Postby gastric » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 am

Excellent thread Dmitri! Very illuminating. Just for us stupid Americans ;) it should be pointed out that the pricing you've listed is in pounds and not US dollars. Google reports that the grand total would be approximately $82.83US for the parts using the prices as listed in your sheet. Regardless, it shows you how inexpensive MegaDrum can really be. And if it's NOT in pounds that just goes to show you how stupid us Americans really are. :lol:
gastric

Postby gastric » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I plan on making an order next week to start this project using Synthex's 1-sided V2.5 board so I can get the full experience creating a PCB.

Is there any chance you'd want to add a column to your spreadsheet for us US DIYers to faciliate easy aquisition of all of the necessary parts?

http://www.mouser.com is an enormous supplier of electronic components here. They even offer super-fast project ordering via spreadsheets or bill-of-material imports as documented here: http://www.mouser.com/BOM/BOM.aspx That would likely facilitate the fastest way to get everything ordered in the US. They're not always the least expensive source but they literally carry everything for one-stop shopping. I can only imagine what a collective time saver that would be for the newcomers such as myself.

It's simply a daunting task for the newbie as a search for 1uF capacitors turns up thousands of results. Narrow that to 1uF tantalum and you're down to a mere 1,008 results. And 20 minutes later I'm trying to compare the specific product details via the links you've provided to find the appropriate part and.... as your eyes gloss over .... I finally come up with this product that seems to be a match to what you've listed. Then I think about how many other components are on the list and I start thinking about how many hours it'll take just to source the components online and Synthex's all-in-one starts looking better and better. ;)
gastric

Postby dmitri » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Feel free to edit the original document and post it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby gastric » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:56 pm

Actually, when I said "any chance you'd want to add a column to your spreadsheet for us US DIYers" I literally meant YOU. As in, I get to open it and it magically has a clickable column for Mouser. :P

Minimally I'll have to have you and/or Synthex review whatever list I create prior to my ordering to ensure I've chosen the correct parts as there's simply a TON of results for everything. Search for atmega 32 and there's initially at least 3 different products that seem to meet the criteria without me comparing your product links to what Mouser is offering. But at least it's not 1,000 results. :)
gastric

Postby jamalpiper » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:59 am

Reply to CairnsFella:

An Idea that could help here (that I've been thinking about for a while already) is a wiki site. I've slowly started making one myself just to organize my own thoughts, but I haven't gotten much of a start on it. I'm not saying my wiki would be the answer, but something like that, say if there's 5 posts concerning a certain topic, maybe have a page on it with a brief description on what it is then have a list of links to the previous topics on it.

And then if that could somehow be streamlined into one autonomous site, that would be the end all solution to that. Way beyond anything I can do though.
-[K]
jamalpiper

Postby gastric » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:35 am

I plan to work with Dmitri on producing a complete US-based component source. Of course it'll be posted here once it's compete and well reviewed for accuracy. For starters it'll be completely sourced from Mouser.com as they usually carry EVERYTHING in stock. Plus they have an excellent project/bill-of-materials import that should let you simply copy-paste the entire project for super fast and effortless ordering. I'm looking forward to moving from the talking-about-MegaDrum stage to the building and using and contributing stage. :)
gastric

Postby jman 31 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:36 am

gastric wrote:I plan to work with Dmitri on producing a complete US-based component source. Of course it'll be posted here once it's compete and well reviewed for accuracy. For starters it'll be completely sourced from Mouser.com as they usually carry EVERYTHING in stock. Plus they have an excellent project/bill-of-materials import that should let you simply copy-paste the entire project for super fast and effortless ordering. I'm looking forward to moving from the talking-about-MegaDrum stage to the building and using and contributing stage. :)

Gastric, let me know if there's anything I can do to help with this. I really want to build one of these, and a good source/sources would be very beneficial on this side of the big pond!

Jman 31
jman 31

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware