Smarttrigger/Surge/JobekyP-P-S Triple Zone Ride

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Smarttrigger/Surge/JobekyP-P-S Triple Zone Ride

Postby maru_engineering » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Hello everybody!

Please be so kind and share your MegaDrum settings for a piezo(bell)-piezo(bow)-Switch(edge) triple zone ride like the ones manufactured by Smarttrigger, Alesis Surge or Jobeky...
I recently purchased a 20'' Triple Zone Ride from Jobeky and I hope I will be able to use it together with my MegaDrum32 to get all the zones and the choke working.

Thank you very much in advance!
maru_engineering

Re: Smarttrigger/Surge/JobekyP-P-S Triple Zone Ride

Postby maru_engineering » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi again! :D

I just checked with the ohmmeter the internal wiring of my Jobeky Ride and it's like:

Jack1 Bow Piezo - Tip; Bell Piezo - Ring
Jack2 Bow Piezo - Tip; Edge Switch - Ring

...so, not Smarttrigger style which, from what I read on this forum, is outputting the edge switch on both of the rings of the jacks...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
maru_engineering

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:07 pm

As I have not had such triggers/cymbals I can only make a theoretical suggestion.
1. Plug the the cable with pizeo1/piezo2 signal to one jack and configure it as a dual piezo/piezo pad/cymbal. Disable piezo1 zone setting its Note to 0. Set the piezo 2 zone with a Bell note.
2. Plug the piezo1/switch cable to another jack and configure it as a 3way piezo/switch/switch pads/cymbal. Make sure you configure the piezo1 zone of this jack with a Bow note, the switch zone with an Edge note and the 3rd zone with a Bell note.
3. Place all the zones into the same (and exclusive only to them) XTalk group.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby maru_engineering » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Dimitri,

It looks like the last step from point 2 did some magic :-) The triggering is looking much better now! I have to fine tune the parameters and check the choke functionality before reporting back here...

Thank you!

Best Regards from Romania.
maru_engineering

Postby maru_engineering » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 am

Hello again!

After rebuilding my ride (I wanted to be able to get the edge switch sensitive enough so that I get some velocity range for the edge hits; I wanted to get rid of the hotspot of the bow) and some testing I came to the conclusion that the separation between Bow and Bell is much better (in fact I think it's almost perfect) if the bell and bow piezos are using the same jack.

From my past three months experience of converting acoustic cymbals I think for the diy-er the most easy approach is the Bell-piezo, bow-piezo, edge-switch approach.
If there are other MegaDrum users out there using this configuration let's kindly ask Dmitri to consider a software modification that allows the 3 Way Roland configuration to accept the rim of the first of the two input that have to be used to accept piezo signals - it is configurable like this in MegaDrum Manager, but the module is still expecting a switch...

Dmitri, please let me know if my description was clear or if you like to have more information about this plea...

Thank you everybody!
Best regards,
maru_engineering

Postby dmitri » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 pm

maru_engineering wrote:If there are other MegaDrum users out there using this configuration let's kindly ask Dmitri to consider a software modification that allows the 3 Way Roland configuration to accept the rim of the first of the two input that have to be used to accept piezo signals - it is configurable like this in MegaDrum Manager, but the module is still expecting a switch...

Dmitri, please let me know if my description was clear or if you like to have more information about this plea...

I don't think there is a need for a firmware change. Did you configure it like this?:
1. Plug the the cable with pizeo1/piezo2 signal to one jack and configure it as a dual piezo/piezo pad/cymbal. Disable piezo1 zone setting its Note to 0. Set the piezo 2 zone with a Bell note.
2. Plug the piezo1/switch cable to another jack and configure it as a 3way piezo/switch/switch pads/cymbal. Make sure you configure the piezo1 zone of this jack with a Bow note, the switch zone with an Edge note and the 3rd zone with a Bell note.
3. Place all the zones into the same (and exclusive only to them) XTalk group.

If yes, then where the module is still expecting a switch?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby maru_engineering » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello Dmitri!

Of course I tried the configuration that you had suggested a while ago... It was working but sometimes I get a bell event followed by a bow event around 14 ms (as per MIDI Log Viewer)... Some other times if I hit the bell I get strong bow midi events.

However this never happens when I configure bow and bell on the same input as head / rim...

My feeling is that is I set the bow note to 0 (that's disabled) on the first input, Megadrum would not process that signal anymore in order to decide make the separation between bow and bell and relies for this on the Xtalk algoritm; furthermore maybe the scanning time and/or the Xtalk not being "strong" enough can have something to do with it.

If you think it's useful I can get some midi logs for the two scenarios to see the separation improvement when using the first input as bow/bell... In fact I think I could split the signals and use simultaneously the two configurations, but I'm not sure how the midi data is going to look like ;-)...
Maybe we can identify by the input number what's supposed to be what...

My opinion is that if 3way Roland "algorithm" would read a voltage from the rim of the first input (instead of looking for noise reduction) when set to piezo in MegaDrum Manager (like Dual Or Yamaha option) but still expecting a switch in the second rim input (current 3Way Roland implementation) everything will work like charm...

Please let me know if my explanation was coherent enough :-)

Thank you so much Dmitri!
maru_engineering

Postby maru_engineering » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm

One cigarette later, let me ask it this way:

How complicated would be to change the code in order to use Dual or three way Yamaha 'algorithm' for the first rim input when selecting 3 Way Roland on the first Head input and Piezo (insead of switch on the) first Rim Input while still looking (as is currently does) for a switch on the second rim input?

(first meaning of course the current input we are configuring and the second the next input in ascending order - as it is basically currently for the 3way Roland configured inputs)...

The point is it's very hard to DiY a nice looking and functional bell switch... Piezo under the bell it's better also for the dynamics; Megadrum can separate the piezos very well in Dual Yamaha three way mode but them we loose the edge switch, maybe the chocking capability...

I think I was more clear this time around :-)

Thank you for your time!
maru_engineering

Postby maru_engineering » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Wait... Maybe It's already in... I'm testing something and will report back....
maru_engineering

Postby maru_engineering » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

No, it's not working as I thought...

I was asking if it isn't too much trouble to make the following configuration usable:
Proposal_first_input.jpg

Proposal_second_input.jpg

In the mean time I will try to fine-tune things as per your proposal and check if I can get better results with Dual or three way Yamaha configuration...

Thank You!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maru_engineering

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware